There are a variety of Foley Catheters available made from various materials and coatings – designed for either Short/Medium or Long Term use. All catheters are offered in a variety of diameter sizes and in either Female or Standard lengths.
SHORT/MEDIUM TERM FOLEY CATHETERS
Can be used for up to 28 days1 and are made from Latex coated with either:
- PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) - to help reduce urethral irritation and potential discomfort
- Bard® Hydrogel with Bacti-Guard®* Silver Alloy Coating - a technologically advanced formulation creating the BARDEX® I.C. Foley Catheter with BARD® hydrogel and BACTI-GUARD®* silver alloy coating. Designed and proven to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections2
Examples of when Short Term Foley Catheters may be used include:
- During surgical procedures and post-operative care
- For accurate monitoring of urine output in acute illness
- Instillation of medication directly into the bladder
- For relief or acute or chronic urinary retention (inability to empty the bladder)
LONG TERM FOLEY CATHETERS
Can be used for up to 12 weeks3 and are made from Silicone or Latex, coated with either:
- Silicone Elastomer – to provide a smooth surface and protect from urethral irritation
- Hydrogel – to create a "cushion" between the catheter surface and the delicate urethral tissue, reducing friction and improving comfort. The Biocath® Foley Catheter is the hydrogel coated latex option. Or if silicone is preferred choose the Lubri-Sil® Foley Catheter.
Examples of when Long Term Foley Catheters may be used include urinary retention or urinary leakage (incontinence) and can arise from:
- Neurogenic disorders such as spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis and spinal bifida.
- Age related bladder problems
- Underlying physical disease, caused by a dysfunction in the bladder
Your Healthcare Professional will advise you if Short/Medium or Long Term catheterisation is suitable for you and the specific catheter they recommend.
1. Bard data on file
2. Clinical studies available on file at Bard Limited
3. Bard data on file